How to Play WMV on iPhone?
2019-03-19 02:22:04 Posted by Amanda2233
Summary: To play WMV on your iPhone, you need to use a third-party iOS player. But you can also choose to convert the WMV to an iPhone supported video format if you don’t want to install another app on your iPhone. Here we will talk about these two methods.
WMV or Windows Media Video is a multimedia format developed by Microsoft to work alongside proprietary software like Windows Media Player. Just as the name indicates, this format was created specifically for Windows and as such, is not supported natively on iOS devices. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t play WMV on iPhone, it just means you need a third-party multimedia player to make it work. Luckily, there is no shortage of good players out there that are available on iOS and can easily handle WMV files. In addition, there are also tools that can allow you to convert WMV files to a format that’s natively supported on iOS. Today we’re going to talk about both options so you can choose which method you want to use to play WMV on iPhone.
Part 1: Play WMV on iPhone with a Third-Party iPhone Player
VLC Media Player
VLC is one of the most popular multimedia players out there and it’s easy to see why. The software is free, offers a lot of useful features, and is available on pretty much any platform you can think of, including iPhone. VLC supports a large variety of formats so you will be able to reliably play WMV on your iPhone after installing this app. The app also has some great editing tools, supports gesture controls and advanced subtitles, can be used to sync files from Dropbox, iCloud or iTunes, and more.
KMPlayer is another very popular choice for users who looking for an iPhone WMV app. The software is similar to VLC in terms of its capabilities but comes with a sleeker interface and a more solid video library manager. In addition, a feature called KMP Connect allows you to watch videos stored on your computer directly on your phone. Another great feature of KMPlayer is its ability to support 4K videos.
PlayXtreme Media Player
PlayXtreme Media Player offers a very clean interface along with some very interesting features that you’ll probably want to check out. Most notably, the app lets you stream content over various network devices, supports casting via AirPlay, and can download subtitles in real time. The premium version has a few more useful features like password protection but you can easily play WMV on iPhone even with the free version.
OPlayer is a paid app so it’s not quite as popular as other players, however, it might be worth checking out regardless because it’s quite cheap and does offer some rather unique features. Some of the highlights include the ability to play videos in the background, support for text files in addition to multimedia content, and a very neat built-in FPT client.
If you want to play WMV movies on iPhone, Infuse 5 is probably your best choice. The app also comes with AirPlay support and the ability to download subtitles in real time, as well as a solid FTP client, and 4K playback capabilities. Infuse 5 is a well-rounded player that’s definitely worth a look.
Part 2: Play WMV on iPhone by Converting WMV to iPhone Supported Formats
If you don’t want to download a new player you can always just convert your WMV files to a different format that has native support on iPhone. The best software for that job is DVDFab Video Converter, a fast and powerful tool that supports all the popular formats and also includes many useful editing tools. The files you convert retain their original quality and even the metadata, and you can even add your own subtitles or watermarks to the video. The software also provides presets specifically designed for a variety of iOS devices like iPhone 8, iPhone SE, iPhone X, and many more. Here’s how the WMV to iPhone converter works:
1. Open DVDFab 11 and select the Converter module from the top menu. Click the “+” button to navigate to the location of the file you want to convert or simply use the drag & drop method.
2. Go to the Profile Switcher to select the format for the output. Since we want to use the WMV to iPhone converter, we’ll go with a natively supported format like MP4. Click Device next to the Format option to select a preset. Under the Apple category, you can find many presets for iOS devices so pick the one that’s most suitable for your device.
3. Use the Advanced Settings and Video Edit buttons to customize the output video if necessary. For example, you can change the resolution and video quality or use the trimming and cropping tools, add subtitles, and more.
4. Once you’ve finished editing the video, hit the start button to begin the conversion process and then go to the destination folder to transfer the file to your iPhone once the process is complete.
When the conversion is complete, you can transfer the converted video to your iPhone for later watching.
WMV is a very popular format so it’s truly a shame that it doesn’t have native support on iOS devices. Luckily, there are many great tools out there that still allow you to play WMV on iPhone regardless so don’t hesitate to experiment and pick the one that’s just right for you. Alternatively, you can simply get DVDFab Video Converter and convert all your WMV videos to a different format like MP4 so won’t have to worry about compatibility issues ever again.
1. Download online videos from YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, and over 1000 other sites
2. Allow users to choose their preferred video quality to download, up to 8K in resolution
3. Download an entire playlist or process 5 download tasks to maximize work efficiency
4. Enable turbo-speed to download 10 times faster so as to save users' invaluable time