Everything Related to Decrypt DVD and Blu-ray Discs
2019-10-13 22:53:50 Posted by Nicole405
Summary: A decryption software will decrypt an encrypted DVD or Blu-ray disc and enables you to make copies of it for legal use. If you still hold doubts on this question, here are some related information about decryption methods as well as how to decrypt for your reference.
You may have been in a situation to copy a DVD or Blu-ray as a backup for later viewing. Nevertheless, some of them are encrypted, especially those DVDs or Blu-rays in high quality or definition. That is the time you need to seek a DVD or a Blu-ray decrypter for help. Find the best DVD decrypter.
There is some dispute as to whether it is legal and ethical to copy DVDs or Blu-rays. Typically, if you own a disc, it is legal to create a copy for your own personal use. So as long as you use your copy for your own personal viewing, and you never use it for illegal purpose, you should be well within the limits of the law. However, if you sell the DVD or Blu-ray disc or give it away, be sure to delete the corresponding files from your devices.
Why Decrypt DVD?
Because its huge storage, DVD discs are still an important part in people’s life. Yet in case you may accidently lost one of your favorite DVDs or you want to copy them before they are worn, you are in a need to copy your DVDs or you can rip and convert them to other video formats to play on other portable devices. Unfortunately, most DVDs are bogged down with copy protection, making it difficult to achieve copying or ripping. In order to copy or rip your DVDs for backup successfully, you will need a DVD decrypter to overcome these issues.
Before recommending the best and free DVD decrypter, we want to start from the basic knowledge that is telling you the DVD encryption technologies.
Introduction of DVD Encryptions
Some copy protection methods are commonly used on commercial pre-recorded DVD discs. They are Analog Protection System (APS) scrambling and Content Scramble System (CSS) encryption as well as Content Protection for Recordable Media (CPRM). Let’s introduce them one by one.
Analog Protection System
APS incorporated into about 75% of all DVD discs is the Macrovision DVD Copy Protection system, which is an enhanced version of the technology long used to protect video types. Through the method of manipulating the signal level of the composite video, video types copied from DVDs encoded with APS become garbled and unwatchable. Fortunately, Analog Protection System can be defeated by passing the composite video signal through a hardware device that restores the proper video signal levels.
Content Scramble System Encryption
Content Scramble System Encryption, shorted as CSS, is the main copy protection scheme applied to pre-recorded DVD discs. CSS works as a data interference system. Its main working idea is to set the global optical disc to six areas and protect each area with different technologies. Only the optical drive with the decoder of this area can correctly process the data in the optical disc. When using this technology protection, all the information stored in the optical disc needs to be processed by the encoding program. To access the encoded data, the data must be decoded.
CSS utilizes a proprietary 40-bit cipher that is used to encrypt the data stored on the DVD disc. When the disc is inserted into a player or computer, a series of “authentication” handshake key exchanges occur between the DVD drive and the player software. At the end of the “authentication” process, the drive allows access to the encrypted DVD data and the player can use the key it has obtained to decrypt the DVD data and play the disc.
Many DVD drives have a tendency to completely lock out access to an encrypted disc until the drive has been “authenticated”. In addition, many DVD drives will refuse to complete the “authentication” process and provide a decryption key if the disc and drive are not from the same region. Both of these situations can cause strange behavior and odd error messages on computer systems.
Content Protection for Recordable Media
CPRM is a copy protection scheme that is used for Secure Digital (SD) memory cards and recordable DVD discs, including DVD-R, DVD+R, etc. Special CPRM-compatible recordable media are required, with each disc including a unique Media ID inscribed as a bar code in the inner hub area.
When a CPRM-compliant recorder detects compatible media, it uses the unique Media ID on the disc to encrypt the data it records to the disc. If the disc is copied, the Media ID on the new disc will be different and the recorded data will not decrypt correctly.
Why decrypt DVD
As many DVD protection schemes are used to encrypt DVDs, you are unable to copy an encrypted DVD. If you do so, you can only see some scrambled data. On such occasion, a DVD decryption software will do you a favor.
1. About DVDFab DVD Copy: decrypt and copy the encrypted DVDs
Are you curious about why we recommend this DVD decrypter when tons of other DVD decrypters are out there? Actually, the answer to this question is quite simple: DVDFab DVD Copy is a free and safe DVD decrypter software for you.
This free DVD decrypter is available for windows 10/8/7 and for Mac as well. If your computer are one of these systems, you are free to download this DVD decrypter. When it comes to downloading this DVD decrypter, you can click these two buttons below to start the downloading process.
It is a complete DVD copy solution. It is worth pointing out that DVDFab DVD Copy can automatically remove encryption out of DVDs and this DVD decrypter lets you copy DVDs to an ISO file, folder, or another blank DVD disc. One important function of it is this DVD decrypter supports multi-language DVDs. You must have seen DVD movies with different languages and subtitles like Spanish, English, Russian and other languages. These are dubbed movies and have multiple audio streams. DVDFab DVD Copy is available for you to select multiple audio languages and subtitles. Moreover, DVDFab DVD Copy provides six main modules that are listed below.
Full Disc: this is module allows you to copy the entire DVD disc to an ISO or a folder or directly burn it to a blank DVD5 or DVD 9.
Main Movie: as you can tell from its name, this module only supports you to copy the main movie and skip the rest. Yet, you also have options to ‘Choose Other Title’ and select multiple DVD chapters for copying and save them as an ISO, folder, or burn to a blank DVD disc. Only one title can be selected at a time in this module.
Clone/Burn: this module can let you make a copy and burn the DVD content to another blank DVD in a 1:1 lossless ration. You can also save an ISO in a 1:1 lossless ration.
Split: as its name suggests - split a DVD9 into two DVD 5 discs.
Customize: copy any content from the DVD disc you want. A DVD has multiple video files. In this module, you can decide to copy which video files.
Merge: as the name refers, you can merge multiple DVDs in to one single DVD. This module aims to make watching DVDs more convenient for you without changing DVDs.
How to decrypt DVD by DVDFab DVD Copy
1. Before starting, please download and install the latest DVDFab 11 as DVDFab DVD Copy is one of its products.
2. Choose Copy mode on the home screen. Then you can insert your disc or click on “+” button to load a source or drag and drop ISO file or folder to the interface. After that, you can select a copy module you want.
3. Before copy, you can do some settings through Advanced Settings or other buttons in advance to customize your file. Here we will take Main Movie module as an example. For instance, you can click Advanced Settings, a wrench icon to select the output video resolution, etc. Possibly, you can also select audio tracks or change the subtitle.
4. Another thing you can do before hitting Start is to decide how to output your file through the options below the interface. Once this is done, you are free to initiate the process.
2. About DVDFab DVD Ripper
This is the best and free DVD decrypter and ripper for Windows 10 to help you rip encrypted DVDs. Ripping means to convert a DVD video to almost every video format for playback on portable and mobile devices, for instance, you can rip and convert encrypted DVD to MP4. Instead of just ripping, this free DVD decrypter can also decrypt them automatically. Besides, this software is also good to go with Windows 8/7.
Another eye-catching function of this software is it is designed with a built-in video editor, providing a set of editing tools like trim, crop, rotate, just to name a few. This function allows you to edit your video freely as you like by using these editing tools.
How to decrypt DVDs with DVDFab DVD Ripper
1. Belonging to DVDFab 11, you may need to download and install DVDFab 11 in order to use DVDFab DVD Ripper.
2. Find and locate the Ripper mode on the home screen. Then you can select a video profile from the left upper side of the interface, for example, an MP4 format. After that, it is time for you to load a source. You can choose to insert a disc or click + button on the interface or you can decide to load a source by dragging and dropping ISO file or folder to the interface.
3. When a source is loaded, you can do some customizations through some options shown in the pictures above. For instance, you can use Advanced Settings to choose video resolution or you can use video editor to crop, trim or add text to the video.
4. After customizations, you can start the ripping process.
Why Decrypt Blu-rays?
Blu-rays are for high definition entertainment. They are enjoying popularity due to their ability to give 1080p picture quality. While 4K UHD Blu-ray discs are capable of giving 4K picture quality. It is important to note that Blu-ray discs use a harder coating that is more difficult to scratch and damage, which is good, but the downside to this is once it does scratch, the Blu-ray disc typically becomes unusable and has to be replaced. Yet we all know that high definition stands for high price. The best way to prevent such things happen is to copy Blu-rays for backup in advance or you can rip your Blu-rays to play them on other devices. You will find it easy to decrypt Blu-ray.
Introduction to Blu-ray Encryptions
The Blu-ray Disc standard mandates that all pre-recorded discs be protected by a copy-protection scheme. The copy protection used on pre-recorded discs is in practice only applied to the stream files and not to any other files that make up the format. A powerful Blu-ray decrypter is of great help.
The Advanced Access Content System is the first level of copy protection applied to pre-recorded discs. AACS is a standard for content distribution and digital rights management, intended to restrict access to and copying of the post-DVD generation of optical discs.
AACS includes a system by which the keys assigned to a particular player can be “revoked” for future Blu-ray disc releases if it is determined that those keys have been compromised. When a newer Blu-ray disc is inserted into an older drive, the drive is required to check the version of the “Media Key Block” (MKB) on the disc and, if it is newer than the one the drive has internally, to copy over to permanent non-volatile memory the newer MKB. Thus playing newer discs propagates the revoked key lists out to all drives.
BD+ Protection is the second level of copy protection that is optional for pre-recorded Blu-ray discs. After the stream files are encrypted using AACS encryption, they are further mangled randomly with instructions on how to repair the mangled files stored on the disc as special BD+ instructions. These instructions run in something called a “BD+ virtual machine”, special software that Blu-ray players are required to include. The virtual machine on the player runs the BD+ code on the disc and retrieves something called the “Fix-up Table” to repair all the BD+ mangled regions on the disc.
Cinavia is an advanced anti-piracy technology that embeds this technology (i.e. audio watermarks) into sound files to generate inaudible sound information. Even after re-encoding or external recording, Cinavia-generated anti-piracy cannot be eliminated. Information can still be identified by dedicated devices. Cinavia will embed certain protecting information in the sound of the film, such as embedding specific cinema-only information in the theater, embedding information that is only available for Blu-ray discs in Blu-ray discs, thereby preventing cinema piracy and Blu-ray Disc piracy. Cinavia has been widely used in new Blu-ray movies and Blu-ray players. More and more film manufactures use this technology.
Therefore, if you are trying to figure out how to decrypt Blu-ray, what you need to do is to seek the best Blu-ray decrypter in 2019. DVDFab Blu-ray Copy and DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper are perfect tools to solve your problem on how to decrypt Blu-ray discs.
This is a free Blu-ray decrypter software and also the best free Blu-ray decrypter software that supports you to copy your Blu-ray discs by providing you with five unique copy modules.
Full Disc: copy the entire Blu-ray disc to an ISO (BD50, BD25) or a folder or directly burn it to a blank BD50 or BD 25.
Main Movie: only copy the main movie and skip the rest. You also have options to ‘Choose Other Titles’ and select multiple Blu-ray chapters for copying and save them as an ISO, folder, or burn to a blank BD50/25 disc. Only one title can be selected at a time in this module.
Clone/Burn: make a copy and burn the Blu-ray content to another blank BD50/25 in a 1:1 lossless ration.
Customize: copy any content from the Blu-ray disc you want. A Blu-ray has multiple video files. In this module, you can decide to copy a video file whichever you want. You are also allowed to select chapters, audio and subtitles.
Merge: merge several Blu-ray discs into one single BD.
How to decrypt Blu-rays using DVDFab Blu-ray Copy
1. Download and install DVDFab Blu-ray copy before you want to do other operations.
2. Launch the software when finish installation. On the home screen, select the Copy option from the menu bar at the top. If you have attached to the Blu-ray player then insert the BD disk into it and navigate to it after click on the Add button on the main screen or just drag and drop ISO or the Blu-ray folder to the main screen.
3. Once you have loaded the file, you can go to the Mode Switcher menu at the left side of the interface to select copy mode you want.
4. Before decrypting and copying, you can define the volume label and choose the output size in your need through the Advanced Settings, a wrench icon. Apart from this, you can also select an audio track or a subtitle, etc.
5. At the bottom of the interface, you can decide how to save the output files. In the “Save to” bar you can save the output file to a blank disc; by clicking the ISO icon, you can create an ISO and also you can copy them to a folder by clicking the folder icon.
6. When all these settings are done, you can hit the start button to initiate the process. A new window will open showing you the progress where you can pause or cancel the task if needed. You can also minimize the window if required.
Don’t limit yourself to DVDs of one format. Down-convert your Blu-ray DVDs to enjoy your movies in both Blu-ray and standard DVD format, on all of your DVD players. While the quality of Blu-ray discs is much higher than standard DVDs, chances are not all of your DVD players are Blu-ray compatible. But with the help of a Blu-ray ripper, you can down-convert your discs and make them compatible with standard DVD players.
DVDFab Blu-ray ripper and decrypter is a perfect tool for ripping those encrypted Blu-ray discs. DVDFab Blu-ray ripper can rip and decrypt Blu-ray discs with ease. The reason to need a Blu-ray ripper is that Blu-ray format can not be supported by every device. Hence, you need to convert this format to other common video formats like MKV, AVI, or MP4 and more. There are many video profiles available for ripping. You will find almost every video format you want your Blu-ray to rip with. When the ripping is done, you can save the ripped content on your computer’s hard drive and play it on other devices.
How to decrypt Blu-ray using DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper
1. Download and install DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper
2. Then run this software and select Ripper option on the main interface. Next move is to load a source. Speaking of loading a source, you can insert a disc or click on “+” button or you can drag and drop ISO file or folder to the location of “+” button.
Then you can move your sight to the profile switcher to choose a profile for conversion.
3. When a source is loaded in, some customizations can be done. On the interface, you can select audio track and subtitles. Besides, you must have noticed that there are Advanced Settings option and video editor option.
As for the Advanced Settings option, you can select resolution and video quality, just to name a few.
The video editor option offers you more. For example, you can add text or image on your video. You are also allowed to crop video, trim video and do other operations through video eiditor.
4. Once all settings are done, you can initiate the progress by clicking Start button.
DVDFab HD Decrypter – Free Blu-ray Decrypter
HD decrypter is a cost-free and simplified version of DVD Blu-ray Copy and DVD Blu-ray Ripper combined. This version only get two options for copying Blu-ray discs: Main Movie and Full Disc. In HD Decrypter, you are not allowed to burn BD25. Apart from these limitations, you can save Blu-ray disc as a folder and ISO and burn your Blu-ray disc to BD50.
Full Disc: Decrypt and copy the entire Blu-ray disc to a folder. If you want to create ISOs and burn a blank BD50, you will need ImageBurn.
Main Movie: only copy the main movie from a Blu-ray disc. A Blu-ray disc can have multiple lengthy movies. These are referred to as main movies. If you select this copy mode, then the longest movie will be selected by default.
In short, this article is packed with almost all the information related to decrypt DVD and Blu-rays. These software we introduced are the best DVD and Blu-ray decrypters and are good at performing their job.
1. Convert DVDs to AAC, MP3, MP4, MKV, AVI, and etc.
2. Support all the popular smartphones, tablets, and etc.
3. Freely customize the output audio & video parameters.
4. Robust editing features like cropping, trimming, and etc.